the suppression of creativity

Sometimes people are really stubborn. I generally knew this but I now face it every week in college. Okay, it's this professor we have in Graphic Design Applications course, who's really STUCK on his preference for handmade work. I got this form the very first time we had class but I didn't think he would be so rejecting and blindfolded to everything he didn't like, that is, everything that is made using design programs like Illustrator or Corel. Well, as a person I generally like attention and I was really mad the very first time he didn't pay any to me because I made my projects using a computer. Okay man, you like handwork but can't you just REALISE that not anyone is capable -or even likes- this way of working on a project? Personally, I consider most of the handmade posters etc. very childish-looking and quite unprofessional. I don't reject them. It's just that I like the computer-based ones more. If I was a professor, I would never neglect somebody that didn't work the way I wanted. It's so immature and stupid. You have to give attention and feedback to everyone. I'm paying you to do so, after all!
Just to give you an idea of it, yesterday he made us make a poster in classroom using ONLY hand -no computers were allowed of course because he asked us to leave our work when we would leave (we DID have computers in class and he COULD take the files in his usb-stick but he just wanted us to make the project HIS WAY).
I guess that the root of the problem is that we tend to keep old people as professors eternally in the institutions. Young people have fresh ideas and I believe that we should generally cope with the new technologies of our era. Any hallucinations that we could maintain the old era for ever are really of no use.

This was just a statement I had to share with you because I feel I'm drowning when somebody tries to muzzle my creative thoughts.

Stay beautiful!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Lefteris,

In my opinion you shouldn't care too much about teachers.
Whenever I meet some one who I think has interesting things to say, or something that helps me further, I listen and learn. When I meet some one who holds me back or discourages me (for what ever reason), I don't pay them much attention. This can be "real" teachers in school (I've had some great ones and I've had plenty of lousy ones), but also people you meet, collegeaus, friends, who ever... I think school is defenitly not the only place to learn. Maybe it's even the worst place to learn (for me, it didn't work...)

On the other hand: just because you don't agree with this man doesn't mean he has nothing to say. Maybe you could try and find out... I know some people who I think are complete jerks, but who has taught me valuable things anyway.

and in the meanwhile: keep having fun!

cu

Gilliom